Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book review: Nightfall by author Ellen Connor

I received a copy of this from the author for my honest opinion and review.

I have never read a post apocalyptic book before. This is my first and it's technically a paranormal romance. The author Ellen Connor is actually the pen name for two authors, Ann Aguirre and Carrie Lofty. Until this book i have never read any of their books either. Lots of firsts for me then with this book. Here is a little bit of a blurb to get you started.

Their instincts will save them.

Their passion will transform them.

Growing up with an unstable, often absent father who preached about the end of the world, Jenna never thought, in her wildest nightmares, that his predictions would come true. Or that he would have a plan in place to save her–one that includes the strong, stoic man who kidnaps and takes her to a remote cabin in the Pacific Northwest.

The mysterious ex-Marine named Mason owes a life-debt to Jenna’s father. Skilled and steadfast, he’s ready for the Change, but Jenna proves tough to convince. Until the power grid collapses and the mutant dogs attack–vicious things that reek of nature gone wrong.

When five strangers appear, desperate to escape the bloodthirsty packs, Jenna defies her protector and rescues them. As technology fails and the old world falls away, Jenna changes too, forever altered by supernatural forces. To fight for their future, she and Mason must learn to trust their instinctive passion–a flame that will see them through the bitter winter, the endless nights, and the violence of a new Dark Age

First i have to admit i had a hard time reading this. I spent some trying to figure out why that was. I really enjoyed the book the writing was excellent. I don't recall seeing any spelling mistakes or names mixed up or things that didn't make sense. The story was really good and action packed and full of suspense. I like that in a book but i think part of the problem was the suspense. I was afraid to find out who might get killed. In this book people get killed. I was surprised by one death and afraid a couple times for other characters. I read some every day for four days but each day i set it down and picked up a comfort read to wind myself down from it i guess. lol  Usually i read a book in one to two days. I loved John Mason the hero of this book and i equally loved Jenna Barclay the heroine. I really liked the first 50 pages that kind of intro the characters and the book and then it started getting heavy. There is no really way to guess how this story is going to go and so it keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering, "What's next"? On the edge right up until the end. I look forward to the next two books in this series. I peeked and they will have characters from the first book in them. To check out this book and read the first chapters as well as the covers and blurbs to the next two book please check out the Ellen Connor website by clicking here www.ellenconnor.com I give Nightfall 4 out of 5 Modokker book pick stars. Lots of sitting on the edge of your seat reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment